Friday, May 30, 2008

McCartney + Wombats?

Sir Paul's BBC chat before Sunday show
30 May 08 - Sir Paul McCartney said he would be interested in producing the Wombats during an exclusive BBC interview ahead of his Liverpool Sound concert.

The Beatles legend will be hitting Anfield Football ground on Sunday (1 June) for a special gig which will also see performances from Kaiser Chiefs and The Zutons.

Wombats

Talking about the Wombats, Paul said: “I don’t do much production now but it might be very tempting. I’m not sure they would want me. I had one of the guys out the wombats in one of my classes. It was great. Now years later they’re doing great.”

Paul went on to talk about other bands that he rates: “I think there are a lot of good bands about. I like Radiohead – they’re really cool.

Zutons

“I think they’re on it. Innovative. Zutons, Killers, Wombats. There are a lot of good people around.”

The former Beatle also spoke about Sunday’s event itself. He said: “It’s the capital of culture year. It’s nice to do something for it and I was asked if they could do my choral piece so they did that at the cathedral.

“It’s a great building anyway – its one of the biggest in Europe and I had applied to be a choir boy there when I was 11 but got turned down so this was my revenge anyway. Come back with ‘this is my work and you choir boys are gonna sing it’.”
I definitely have more excitement and adrenalin playing with a live band, nothing beats that .
Joe - Hot Chip

When asked why he would be performing his show at Anfield, he said: “I support both the teams, I know you’re not allowed to really – I’m officially Everton because my dad was born there so our family team is really Everton.

“But quite a few years ago I was playing a concert at Wembley and there was a row of empty seats and I always say to our promoter if there are any empty seats just give them away about an hour before. I don’t wanna see empty seats.

Liverpool team

“So I opened up the show and there’s a row of empty seats and I’m thinking ‘I’ll kill him’ but after the next number, in walked the Liverpool team and they’ve all got light grey suits, white shirts, red ties. So I had to support them after that!”

Talking about what people can expect at the Sunday gig, Paul said: “If I go and see someone’s show I kind of want them to do the hits.

Prince

“Like Prince came and a few people saw the show on various nights and when he did the hits, people were like ‘this is a great show’.

“And when he didn’t, it was like ‘oh he didn’t do the hits’. You wanted to hear Purple Rain. So I kind of mix it. We’ve got a couple of surprises for Liverpool.”

And you can check out The Liverpool Sound concert which is on BBC 2 this Sunday (1 June) at 11pm.


Kelly Stooke

No comments: