Monday, April 28, 2008

Albarn's next album

Damon's new music expected in July
28 April 2008 - Damon Albarn has said his next album will have over 100 musicians on it and he hopes it will be out in July.

He told the BBC: “I’m finishing off a record at the moment which should be out quite soon.

“This one’s got about 80, 90 musicians on it – something in that region. It’s got a 100 piece Chinese choir on one of the tunes so that plus the orchestra probably goes to about 120, 130 people.”

But Damon was very vague when it came to any more details, including when he was asked whether it had a title: “Not really - I haven’t decided on that but it’s got something of monkeys in there.

“There’s a monkey or two in there at least – bit like Gorillaz as well. It’s not an opera, it’s a proper record.”

He went on: “I just kind of put all my passion into what I’m doing at that moment y’know. It’s nice that things kind of stick around a while so it gives the impression that there’s lots of things but I do one thing at a time generally.

“I have only two arms, two legs. It’s really good as well, I’m really excited about it. It won’t be long, probably by July.”
“There’s a monkey or two in there at least – It’s not an opera, it’s a proper record"
Damon Albarn


Damon also talked about the future of The Good, The Bad and The Queen.

It was believed the group only planned to release one album and their appearance at the recent Love Music Hate Racism show was a final one-off show.

But Damon squashed these rumours: “There are lots of musicians around. We’ve got a lot of musicians that we play with and work with so I don’t really like to kind of say this is this and that is that.

“I just think no it’s not the end of these great musicians collaborating together.”

Damon explained why he wanted to be involved with the Love Music Hate Racism event: “Well, partly my debt to the original Rock Against Racism movement – I think a lot of what kind of informed me came out of that time so for me it’s interesting to see where it is now.

“You could just see by the physical mix that things have genuinely changed y’know and we have other issues now. And maybe the emphasis has changed and there’s more on violence.

“I think the mix of musicians from the young to much older, and I’m kind of sort of in the middle, just shows that it’s a very cohesive force – music.

“And it’s great that London can hold gigs like this and thank goodness the sun came out!”

Kelly Stooke

No comments: