Monday, June 2, 2008

Zutons No To Amy

Zutons say no to Amy cover
02 June 2008 - The Zutons joined Paul McCartney for the Liverpool Sound Concert on 1 June and exclusively revealed they won't be doing any Winehouse covers during the coming festival season.

When asked if they would return the compliment to Amy, who covered their song Valerie with huge success, The Zutons' lead vocalist and guitarist Dave McCabe said: 

"No, not at all.  We wouldn't do it.  It would be like a weird version of her songs. I think she's done ours good."

The female fourth of The Zutons and saxophonist, Abi Harding, added:

"She doesn't need it.  I really like her songs, but loads of people have covered her stuff so if we were gonna do a cover, we'd probably wanna do something that no one has done, be a bit more original than that."
"We wouldn't do it. It would be like a weird version of her songs. I think she'd done ours good."
Dave McCabe


The pair were also happy to be on the Liverpool Sound bill, playing their home town's football ground alongside one of their influences.

"Paul McCartney's written loads of boss songs that we all love" McCabe added. "Plus it's good to come to Anfield. I'll think next time I come here to watch a match, 'we were playing here', and it won't matter to everyone, but it will matter to me."

It wasn't only the Kaiser Chiefs who were singing Paul McCartney's praises, as McCabe recalled the influence the ex-Beatle had on him during his youth, saying:

"When I grew up I used to love Nirvana, Guns n' Roses, Metallica and then The Beatles came along and opened up a whole new thing for me.  I'd always argue between Nirvana, Sonic Youth and The Beatles, but as you get older you can like it all.

"When I was a kid I used to fight with myself about whether I was a '60s rocker or a modern rocker, but either way I was a rocker man."

They revealed the next single from the new album,  You Can Do Anything,  will be What's Your Problem, which is "a message of peace and love saying 'don't fight'".

He went on:  "It's about being positive and not fighting with people when people give you funny looks when your out.  It has got a positive message about it but its got a story around it as well.

"It's a peace song, 'coz we're playing with The Beatles and why not - peace and love on the day of The Beatles."

Georgie Rogers

No comments: