Saturday, June 21, 2008

Leonard Cohen: Fan verdict

6 Music sends a long-standing fan to Leonard's final night at the Manchester Opera House
21 June 2008 - Leonard Cohen had taken to the stage in Manchester.  6 Music has sent fan Steve Broome along to share the night with us.


When did you first hear Leonard Cohen's music?
What is it about him that you most admire?


I used to wake up every morning to "Bird on a Wire" as a student in 1971. Whoever was first up put "Songs from a Room" on the record player -full blast. The neighbours got to know him well as well!

"Songs of Love and Hate", his third LP, was so powerful he just took all the bad days off your shoulders and dealt with them - any problems were eaten up and laughed at. He shared the good days with his poetry - at worst he made you smile, at best he filled you with joy. He never ever brought you down, he only lifted you up. He has continued to do that for the last forty years.

What do you think are his funniest lyrics?

The funniest and most supportive lyrics are:- "There are no letters in the mailbox, there are no grapes upon the vine. There are no chocolates in the boxes anymore, there are no diamonds in the mine".

The words are just so final, what else is there to say? Hey just "cheer up and enjoy".

What experience have you had of Leonard live in the past?

I first saw him at the Isle of Wight festival in the summer of 1970. He didn't then make a big impression as there were too many impressions to have. I next saw him on his tour in Southport in the mid seventies. I just remember the audience being polite and respectful to a singing poet. I felt like he had just come and sung for me.

Did you ever think that you would have the opportunity to see him play live again?

No, but hoped.
I heard a young twenty something say to his friend "that was the best gig I have ever been to in my life".

How did you feel in the build up to this gig?

Absolutely delighted that he was coming to sing to me again.

What did you think when he first took to the stage?

When he came on the stage at first I thought he looked old and frail but throughout the evening he constantly became both younger and fitter. He dressed in his grey double breasted suit and he was wearing a fedora which he frequently removed with respect to his band and his audience. The atmosphere was full of excitement and nervousness. Will he? Can he? Of course he did!

The audience was made up of all ages and reacted as one to his songs and his poetry. As I left I heard a young twenty something say to his friend "that was the best gig I have ever been to in my life". Of course it was!

What was the highlight of the night for you?

“Songs of Love and Hate” was revisited by virtue of the "Famous Blue Raincoat". I didn't know he would be singing my favourite song. I didn't know if he would sing it as wonderfully and powerfully and melodically as it could ever be sung. Of course it was!.

What did you make of his choice of set list?

I would have liked to have heard him sing about the chocolates in the boxes from “Diamonds in the Mine” but then I would have liked to have heard him sing everyone of his lyrics from everyone of his songs. Perhaps he will sing all those to me when I see him at the O2 Stadium in July. I am sure he will! Of all the songs he did sing, none were disappointing all were exquisite. “Hallelujah” probably stole the show, but “Jane and her Raincoat” made it the absolutely perfect evening for me.
Thank you, Leonard. See you soon.






Steve Broome

No comments: