Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Guillemots hit back

Front man defends their new album
19 Mar 2008 - Guillemots front man Fyfe Dangerfield has hit back at the negative reviews of his band's new album Red.

“To be honest we’re a bit kind of bemused," he told 6 Music. "I certainly think it’s quite fashionable to not like us at the moment. Maybe that’s just me being paranoid.

“I think it’s just cos we’re a bunch of misfits – we’re not a band that looks cool because we’re all from completely different parts of the world and all over the place."

He went on: "A lot of the reviews have sort of indicated that we’re too clever for our own good and get really quite annoyed by the way that we go off in different directions.

“If I read about us in the press and the way we’re often portrayed, I'd be really annoyed by us, cos we either sound like we’re wacky, quirky people that just run around going ‘I’m mad me!’ or ‘Lets use a biscuit tin!’ or we sound like we’re prog-obsessed idiots.

"But you know we love big pop music. We love making noise.”
"A lot of the reviews have sort of indicated that we’re too clever for our own good and get really quite annoyed by the way that we go off in different directions."
Fyfe Dangerfield - Front man


On a more positive note, Dangerfield also talked about his recent connection with Sir Paul McCartney.

“I rather geekily sent him a note because I’d heard that he really liked the strings on our first record," he laughed.

"And I just said ‘Oh if you’re doing another record and you want someone who would write the strings for you then I’d love to do it’.

“Then about three months later he left me a message saying ‘Hey man. Y'know, love the record but I don’t need anything at the moment’ but implied maybe sometime we could do something. Who knows?."

He went on about his enthusiasm for the Beatles legend and how he felt when he heard he was a fan of the band: "It’s just a bit mental – I love the Beatles. And I’ll defend Macca ‘til the hilt as well cos everyone always goes on about he was the one that wrote all the slushy stuff, but it's just rubbish.”

Red is due out on 24 March.

Kelly Stooke

No comments: