Wednesday, August 27, 2008

R.E.M hate Bush

The band’s frontman is backing Barack Obama for US president
27 August 2008 - The American singer, Michael Stipe, known for being socially and politically active, is supporting Barack Obama and has spoken out about his hatred for George Bush.

Initially speaking of Michelle Obama, Barack Obama’s wife, Stipe said: “She’s a lawyer and she’s a mother, she knows how to present an argument, she knows how to present her ideas in a way that I think are understandable and I think she’s obviously a very smart and bright woman.”

And turning to Barack, Stipe went on to say: “Her husband is probably what my country needs more than anything right now.”

As to the kind of person and President the musician would like to see inhabit the White House, Stipe is championing everything Barack Obama stands for.

“You want an exceptional American, yeah, and I think he’s probably an exceptional person. You look at the way he’s put his campaign together and the way he responds to many of the criticisms that are already being lobbed at him, either from the Clinton family or from the McCains,” he told the One Show.

And Stipe has absolute faith that Obama will succeed in the Presidential race, saying: “Yes, I think he’s going to make it and it will be a better day for all of us.”
"That’s a reference to our current president who I very publicly despise. I just can’t stand the guy or his administration."
Michael Stipe


New single

R.E.M’s latest album is called Accelerate , which was released on 1 April this year.

Their new single is titled Man Size Wreath and begins with the lyrics: “Turn on the TV and what do I see / A pageantry of empty gestures all lined up at me.”

Stipe explained the lyrics: “That’s a reference to our current president who I very publicly despise. I just can’t stand the guy or his administration and it was about him going to the graveside of Martin Luther King, one of my heroes, and I think desecrating the memory of that great man and his work by being there during the Iraq war. I found it pathetic so I wrote that song about it.”

Still going strong

R.E.M formed back in 1980 and have a mammoth 15 studio and live albums in their back catalogue.

Turning to whether he’s had enough of the lifestyle of a musician, Stipe said he’s as passionate as ever about music.

“I think I’m the luckiest guy in the world. I love my job, I love the people I do it with and I think touring and writing music is really what I was intended to do, I love it,” he said.
 
Barack Obama is due to be officially nominated at the Democratic Convention for President tomorrow.

Georgie Rogers

No comments: