Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Big Chill Day 3

Our reporter's blog with the latest from the Big Chill festival.
03 August 2008 - Today is the last day of a festival which has flown by.

Something I’ve loved at this festival is the amount of great covers the artists have been doing. I’ve already mentioned Lykke Li – others include the DJ Trentmoller, who whipped out his remix of White Stripes’ Seven Nation Army. Fink covered The Model by Kraftwerk, Hot Ape Brass Band played Marvin Gaye’s Sexual Healing and I’ve just seen Norman Jay open his set with a reggae, dub style, saxophone heavy version of the Pink Panther. It was the perfect way to start the day.

I can’t get enough of how lovely it is to see such a variety of ages in harmony. There is no aggression here from anyone. You feel so safe here. There's also lots of people dressed up as all sorts. Yesterday I saw a Scooby Doo, a dad dressed as Banana man, a troop of leopard print, fluorescent yellow catsuits, some bears - and I’ve been loving the huge variety of random wigs and men in bizarre dresses.

I’m signing off now to go and watch some more music. I know Orchestra Baoab are playing, and Asian Dub Foundation - which I might check out and a bit later a bit of Joe Goddard from Hot Chip playing Hip Hop would go down well. This is all, of course gearing up for Leonard Cohen. Not sure if I'm going to stay for David Holmes even though I’m crazy about the songs from his new album that we’ve been playing on 6 Music - but I’m going to need to exit sharpish and head back to London town for a night of blissful sleep in a bed before normal life resumes.

Will touch base later with news of Sunday’s antics.


Georgie Rogers

No comments: