Saturday, July 19, 2008

Music v Monkeys

The Leeds band question the passion of their big Yorkshire rivals
18 July 2008 - The Music have dismissed fellow Yorkshire bands, including Arctic Monkeys and Kaiser Chiefs, saying they're not as passionate about what they do.

The Leeds band played the iTunes festival at London's Koko on Friday (18 July). Their label Polydor said they were booked for the vacant slot in the month-long event because of the reaction to their recent London Astoria show.

It follows their Top 20 comeback with their third album, Strength In Numbers, last month. But they don't feel any kinship with other local bands.

Bassist Stuart Coleman said: "We're in a totally different league to them, I think, not in a big-headed way but I just think we are.

"But they seem to have their own things going on, I don' think they need to be told. Kaiser Chiefs are one of the biggest bands in the country, they've got it pretty damn licked and so have Arctic Monkeys and Pigeon Detectives."
"They look great, they've got TV star girlfriends. That's not us."
The Music singer Robert Harvey

Singer Robert Harvey added: "We'd make music if you took a record deal off us tomorrow. I'm not so sure they would."

After being tipped for greatness when they were still teenagers, Harvey admitted it was hard to see the rise of Arctic Monkeys a couple of years ago.

"At first you're bitter but that just holds you back," he said. "I wouldn't want to get in the way of anyone's success. It's alll about timing and look and you can't fault the music, it does what they want it to do: it gets on radio, it gets on TV programmes.

"They look great, they've got TV star girlfriends. That's not us. We do it purely for musical reasons - I don’t think they do."

The band have experienced a turbulent time after first emerging back in 2001. By the time of their second album, Welcome To The North, they admit they weren't happy with the songs or their own lives after a hectic touring schedule.

Harvey said: "A mate said to me 'you're depressed Robert', and I were like 'okay, yeah maybe I am'. You've got to hit rock bottom before you can start again.

"I've totally changed my lifestyle, I had to. I'm totally sober now, I don't drink, I barely go out. That's what it means to us - we're willing to change our lives for this to survive."

Their new single The Spike is out on 11 August.

Andre Paine

No comments: