Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Beggin' for Duffy

US set to embrace Welsh singer
16 July 2008 - Welsh songstress Duffy reckons it will take commitment and longevity to crack America.

Speaking from LA, where she's launching a new karaoke singing computer game, she says that despite being tipped for massive success in the States, it's all about being in it for the long haul:

"I don't know if I am well known over here. I heard my song on the radio, that was a bit of a weird moment," she laughs.
 
"It's such a big place you know, to really be well known in America you have to have a lot of patience, and you've gotta hang around for quite a long time. It's early days for me."
"I still get equally upset with boys" - Duffy

Remains grounded 

"I am still the same person", Duffy continued on whether fame has changed her, "I wake up in the morning with a headache, the same things upset me, I still get equally upset with boys.

"Nothing really changes, but of course because my surroundings are changing I am sure I am influenced by that."

No maracas or Rolf Harris

But she was quick to reassure fans that her sound will stay the same: "Although I was in Spain the other day, I don't think I will suddenly want maracas on my record," she joked, "Uh Oh, Duffy's off to Australia, what's his name Rolf Harris-esque 'Whoo choo key choo', or whatever he does with the paper!

"I don't know if I am really gonna be affected geographically by the things I see, but my personality and the things I am learning - it will probably affect me."

Duffy performs at Somerset House on the 18 July.


Ruth Barnes

No comments: