Thursday, February 28, 2008

Richards slates Led Zep

Keith moans about Jagger in Mag interview
28 Feb 08 - Keith Richards has laid into Led Zeppelin and his own band in a new interview.

The Rolling Stones guitarist told Uncut Magazine he did not even notice that Led Zep had reformed for a gig.

Richards, 64, also said he thinks Stairway to Heaven is no good and had a thing or two to say about band-mate Sir Mick Jagger.

He said: "Mick's a maniac. He can't get up in the morning without knowing immediately who he's going to call.

"Meanwhile, I just go 'Thank God I'm awake' and wait for three or four hours before I do anything.

“He is a power freak and there's nothing we can do about it. I don't want to do anything about it. Let him b***** about. It doesn't make any difference to what we do."

Richards was speaking from his home in the Turks and Caicos Islands to promote Shine A Light which is Martin Scorsese's documentary about the Stones.
"Mick's a maniac. He can't get up in the morning without knowing immediately who he's going to call....Meanwhile, I just go 'Thank God I'm awake'"
Keith Richards


Asked about Sir Mick's on-stage presence, he said: "Excuse me while I laugh. He's a bit vain, let's put it like that.

"We want a vain bloke up there, don't we? Meanwhile, the band can go to work. Vanity will not carry a band. But a band can carry vanity."

Asked what message he would send to his younger self, Richards added: "I'd have said 'Lay off the dope.' That's my advice now to all younger members who are into this sort of thing.

“Oh, give it up, it ain't really worth it. I know the fascination, but it ain't worth it, pal."

When the musician was asked about today's music scene, he replied: "I don't listen to what's going on. I don't like CDs, quite honestly. They sound tinny to me."

But he did make some positive comments during the interview. Speaking about Christina Aguilera, who joined the band on stage last year, he said: "Very nice. Very nice chick. Nice bum."

You can read the full interview in Uncut Magazine on Friday (29 Feb).

Kelly Stooke

No comments: