Saturday, February 23, 2008

Nash joins LMHR

Kate set for Rock Against Racism carnival
23 Feb 08 - Kate Nash is the latest star to align herself with the Love Music Hate Racism campaign.

The singer was wearing an Anti-Nazi League badge as she picked up her Best British Solo Female award at the Brits last week, and now she intends to get involved in the musical campaign.

She told 6 Music its an issue she feels strongly about.

"I think that people think that now we're in the 21st Century that you kind of ignore it and think everything is fine; but there's still a lot of race hate and race crime and homophobic people and I think that's awful."

She believes we shouldn't take change for the better for granted, and should take action.
"I just wanted to make a statement to say that I'm anti-Nazi League and anti-Fascist."
Kate Nash

"I don't judge anybody by anything apart from personality and who they are, and I think it's really awful that percentages and memberships [of extreme right wing groups] have risen and I find that really frightening.

"So I just wanted to make a statement to say that I'm anti-Nazi League and anti-Fascist."

30th anniversary carnival

It's 30 years since the original Rock Against Racism gig in Victoria Park, that was headlined by Tom Robinson Band and featured a legendary performance from The Clash.

On 27 April this year a 30th anniversay carnival will be held in the same park, with Tom Robinson playing again, along with Babyshambles, Paddingtons and Fionn Regan.

And Kate told 6 Music she's hoping to join the bill: "I'm talking to them at the moment, we're emailing to see what I can get involved in."

The event will be held for free in London's Victoria Park

Lucy O'Doherty

No comments: