Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Calvin's 'proper songs'

Singer and producer says his 'euphoric' second album is 'better than the old stuff'
10 March 2009 - Calvin Harris won’t be on the touring circuit in the UK until April because he’s currently working on his second album, the follow up to 2007’sI Created Disco.

He recently won the Best Remixer prize at the inaugural Music Producers Guild Awards and 6 Music caught up with him to find out how writing and recording is going.

The singer reckons his new material is a significant step on and said: “I’m just looking forward to getting the new stuff out because it’s different and it’s really much better than the old stuff, so I’m looking forward to being known for that rather than some of my other songs.”"They're almost proper songs which I didn't really touch on before."

Calvin Harris

He told us about his next single I’m Not Alone, the first from the new record, which is posted on his Myspace page.

“Euphoric is the word,” he explained. “It’s rave, it’s faithless. It’s Snow Patrol, it’s Grandaddy, all in a pot.

“We shot the for that in Oslo. It was very snowy. I saw a couple of clips from it, it looks like a film, definitely the best thing I’ve ever done video wise and music wise.”

‘A red herring’

Of the album’s direction he said: “It’s definitely more dance music orientated. It’s dancey. I like the dancey stuff better but also they’re almost proper songs which I didn’t really touch on before.”

However, the single isn’t totally representative of the latest batch, which Harris is producing, mixing and singing himself.“It’s kind of a red herring the single,” he explained. “I’ve not done the album yet, I’ve got five songs that are done and I’ve got a whole load that I can pick from whether I want to finish them or not, I don’t know, or give them to other people.”

Harris begins his UK tour at the Bristol Thekla on 25 April and speaking about his release schedule he said: “I think there’s gonna be a third [single] before the album. I don’t know what that is yet. I think I’ve written it but I dunno, I think we’re gonna play it by ear.“We’re gonna release single by single and if any of them bomb then I’ll probably get dropped so we’ll just see what happens.”I’m Not Alone is released digitally from 5 April and physically from 13 April and Calvin revealed the second single is scheduled for release in the summer before the record comes out.Georgie Rogers

No comments: