Friday, September 5, 2008

Bestival weather warning

Forecasters predict a soggy start to the weekend
05 September 2008 - Forecasters have issued a weather warning for the Isle of Wight - as Bestival kicks off, with the worst of it expected today.

Thunder storms are predicted tonight and heavy rain is brewing this afternoon with strong winds also expected, campers are facing a battle of the elements with 45 mph gusts heading for Robin Hill Park.

It’s not all bad news though, and tomorrow and Sunday will be brighter according to Met Weather forecaster Helen Chivvers:

“We should see the sun coming out on Saturday, and also at times on Sunday, so it won’t be a complete wash out, but we do have a Met office weather warning for 20-40mm of rain during today, most of that should fall by mid afternoon, but we will see some heavy showers and possibly some thunder storms coming along this evening, as we go through Saturday n Sunday I think more in the way of showers, and there will be some sunshine, but certainly very wet under foot.”

Bestival boss Rob Da Bank reckons his team are ready for it though and says measures have been taken to tackle the conditions.

Writing in his blog the DJ-turned-promoter says:

"Don't want to get too British and bang on about the weather but we may be in for a slightly damp one for the first time at Bestival – but hey ho we're ready and the theme is '30,000 Freaks Under The Sea', so it's all my fault."

One lady looking forward to donning her finest though is Ida Maria:

“I’m gonna dress up like a transvestite, but then I have to become a male first and then get female and that’s a bit tricky. I will see what I can do. I really wonder if my band will cross dress, my bass player he loves my dresses, he is the same size, we have fancy dress parties all the time.”

6 Music will be bringing you regular updates thoughout the weekend, so keep checking back for all the latest backstage gossip, and weather reports.


Jo Youle

No comments: