Monday, September 29, 2008

Little Noise legends

Kasabian, Keane, Glasvegas and Florence and the Machine head up Little Noise Sessions bill
29 September 2008 - A magic line-up of acts are secured to play the series of intimate acoustic gigs at the Union Chapel in London’s Islington in November.

In aid of Mencap, this year’s Little Noise Sessions will take place from Saturday 8 November and run for eleven consecutive nights until Tuesday 18 November.

This year's line up will include performances from Glasvegas, Razorlight, Stereophonics, James Morrison, Kasabian, Keane, Seasick Steve, Florence and The Machine, The Script as well as some special secret guests.

2007 saw Bono and The Edge from U2 give an exclusive acoustic performance of never heard before tracks.

Welsh rocker Kelly Jones, frontman of the Stereophonics is excited: "We are really looking forward to playing the show for the Little Noise Sessions on behalf of Mencap.

"To be able to do an acoustic show in such an intimate venue and be able to support such a worthy cause will be a really special thing to do and something we rarely get chance to do.  It will be beautiful."

And it is all for a very worthy cause, as Jo Williams - Chief Executive of Mencap, says: "Mencap’s Little Noise Sessions is a really important event for learning disability. Not only does it help raise money to ensure we can support people with a learning disability, but it raises the profile of the challenges that the 1.5 million with a learning disability face.

"We are hugely grateful to all the acts who freely give their time and effort, and especially to Jo Whiley, Mencap’s ambassador, who puts in a huge amount of time and effort to help organise and curate the event."

Registration for tickets kicks off on Monday 1 October until Sunday 19 October at www.mencapmusic.org.uk .

Tickets are priced at £40, with all proceeds going to the charity Mencap.

See below for the line-up so far:

Saturday 8 November
Glasvegas
Cage the Elephant
Plus surprise special guest

Sunday 9 November
Razorlight
Florence and the Machine
Esser

Monday 10 November
Stereophonics
Seasick Steve

Thursday 13 November
James Morrison
Sam Beeton

Friday 14 November
Kasabian

Saturday 15 November
Keane
The Script
Bryn Christopher
Red Light Company

Tuesday 18 November
Fratellis

Georgie Rogers

Led Zep no go

Robert Plant urges anyone buying Led Zeppelin tickets they aren’t reforming
29 September 2008 - While touring the USA with his Mercury nominated album Raising Sand -  a collaboration with Alison Krauss - the Led Zeppelin frontman denies more rumours that the legendary band are reforming.

After the last leg of that tour, Plant has no intentions of touring with anyone for at least two years.

This rules out any form of tour or recording on the Led Zeppelin front.

Therefore, anyone buying tickets online to any such event will be purchasing fake tickets.

A statement from Plant reads: "It's both frustrating and ridiculous for this story to continue to rear its head when all the musicians that surround the story are keen to get on with their individual projects and move forward."

He added: "I wish Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham nothing but success with any future projects."

Georgie Rogers

Oasis headline proms

Manchester giants have been confirmed to close BBC Electric Proms
29 September 2008 - Oasis will take to the stage at The Roundhouse in London on Sunday 26 October, accompanied by the Crouch End Festival Chorus.

Speaking exclusively to 6 Music Noel Gallagher said: "There’s 50 odd, or 250 or something, so we’re gonna do a night with a full choir - because some of the songs have got a fifty piece choir on them on the album - so we’re gonna do a night at the proms with them."

Ray Davis has used the choir in the past, to which Gallagher responded: "Yeah and Ennio Morricone uses them for his spaghetti western stuff in England, so I’m already looking forward to that because I’ve never played the Roundhouse and never done the proms."
 
They join the previously announced Chaka Khan, Goldfrapp, Tony Christie, Wild Beasts, XX Teens and Burt Bacharach.
"I’m already looking forward to that because I’ve never played the Roundhouse and never done the proms."
Noel Gallagher


The show will be broadcast on BBC Radio 1 from 9pm on 26 October and televised on BBC2 at 22.45pm on the same day.

You’ll be able to watch the performance, all the interviews and photos of the BBC Electric Proms for a week after the festival at www.bbc.co.uk/electricproms

Tickets will go on sale at 8.15am on Tuesday 30 September.

Georgie Rogers

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Big Beach Boutique 4

Fatboy Slim rocks 22 000 strong crowd
28 September 2008 - Last time Fatboy Slim played his hometown he got electric shocks off the decks from the rain, but yesterday felt like summer had finally arrived.

A cloudless blue sky line enveloped the 22 thousand strong enclosure Fatboy had deliberately encased with steel fencing this year, to keep the numbers down.

Six years ago 250 thousand people turned up for the party, but this year Norman was taking no chances, with only the yachts moored up at sea getting a free show.

Fatboy told 6 Music this is his last live date of the summer and it’s the perfect end to a busy summer: “I’m not sure if we planned it, or whether it just turned out like that, but this is our 38th of the season. It’s very fitting to end in your home town, this is kind of like our end of term party for the crew.”

"It's very fitting to end in your hometown" - Fatboy Slim

Local Brighton hero Beardyman hosted the event, comparing in between artists, and Fatboy’s fellow label mates including The Whip, who kicked the event off.

The band wrapped up with their signature tune, Trashed, which set the tone for the day. Inflatable fish, beach balls, and fatsuits bounced around the crowd as New York house legend Danny Tenaglia stepped things up a notch.

His new tune The Space Dance was strangely absent from his two hour set though, but he got much love as Norman joined him on stage before he handed over to Layo and Bushwacka.

Beardyman then hooked up with former DMC scratching champion and BattleJam buddy, JFB to warm up for Fatboy, and got the crowd in the mood with some comedy visuals of him on Brighton beach.

Beardy told us he’s a big fan of Norman’s: “ I went to Big Beach Boutique 2, which was the big return, which was obviously massive, and it was just so awesome. I love it,it’s Brighton, it’s my home town and it’s a good mood city, by the sea, everyone’s happy. A lot of hands in the air, smiling faces and it’s a good send off to the summer, ‘cos it’s been a pretty muddy summer.”



Jo Youle

Friday, September 26, 2008

Busta Wins Court Battle

Rapper to play charity show
26 September 2008 - Busta Rhymes has won his high court battle to perform at a charity concert at London’s Royal Albert Hall tonight (26 th Sept 08).

He went into the high court in London at two o'clock today and his lawyers had been arguing his case all afternoon.

This comes after he spent 11 hours yesterday in custody. He was stopped as he arrived at London City Airport yesterday morning by armed guards over his US convictions.

The rap star has already been in the country twice this year, including a visit to highlight the Rock Corp concert a few months ago.

The event’s organiser, Steven Greene, has said that all the publicity surrounding Busta’s detention is a mixed blessing.

He told 6 Music: “I want everyone to know about the young people and the work they have done in the community, but Busta had to sit in a detention room for 12 hours yesterday.”



Ruth Mitchell

iPod Tax Proposed

Government may impose levy on music players
26 September 2008 - The idea of an iPod tax is the latest to be bandied about by Ofcom, and Sky Satellite dishes, Freeview boxes and Internet subscriptions could also be subject to a levy.

Falling advertising revenue and an increase in viewers turning to digital channels are being blamed for commercial broadcaster’s reluctance to make non-profitable public service programmes.

The regulator for the UK’s communication industries has suggested that the new tax, imposed by the government, would be used to fund public service shows such as Channel 4 News, Dispatches, children’s programmes, arts shows and regional news.

Consumers not happy

The general consensus from consumers on the tax is overwhelmingly negative. 6 Music spoke to some shoppers on Oxford Street today (26th Sept 08).

One woman was indignant: “Why should we pay more? You pay tax when you buy the item. No, no more!”

Meanwhile a male shopper feels we pay a lot already: “No I wouldn’t really to be perfectly honest, I think there are enough taxes out there existing. You suffer advertising while watching TV, you pay enough to that extent I reckon.”

Computers and CDs face tax too

Consumers could also face a new tax on computers, blank CDs and DVDs under proposals mooted in Ofcom’s review of the future of public service broadcasting and is one of several funding options that have been outlined.

Ofcom awaiting public opinion

Meanwhile an Ofcom spokesperson told 6 Music that they are waiting to hear from you.

They said: “An industry levy is one in a series of funding methods which we are consulting on as part of our review of public service broadcasting. We look forward to hearing what the public and industry think of our proposals.”

So far Apple has declined to comment on the proposal.

The government will not make a final decision on the levy until early next year following Ofcom’s consultation, which closes this December.



Ruth Mitchell

Busta Walks Free

Rapper faces another court hearing
26 September 2008 - The High Court will today rule whether Busta Rhymes will be allowed to remain in the UK and perform at his London gig tonight.

The rapper is scheduled to perform in front of thousands of young volunteers at The Royal Albert Hall for the Orange RockCorps show for charity.

However, last night, after spending 12 hours under armed guard at City airport in London a judge ordered his immediate release. He landed early yesterday morning but was denied entry because it was alleged he had "unresolved convictions in the USA", concert promoter Orange said.

Rhymes, who has already been allowed entry to the UK twice this year, in May and August, has a valid work permit for tonight's Orange RockCorps gig at the Royal Albert Hall, London, where he is due to perform before 5,000 volunteers.

A hearing is due to take place this afternoon at the High Court of Rhymes's application for permission to bring a judicial review challenge over the legality of his detention.

In a statement the 36-year-old rapper said he was determined to play at the concert.

"I came to the UK to perform for all of the Orange RockCorps volunteers who put in time in their community and that's what I'm going to do," he said.

"I am here officially in the UK, and thanks to all parties involved hopefully I will be able to put on an incredible show for the kids."

However, representatives of the star say his appearance at the event will depend on the outcome of the judicial review.

Stephen Greene, co-founder of RockCorps, said: "Busta's release is an extremely welcome development.

"Orange RockCorps has inspired thousands of young Brits to help their community, get involved and make a real difference through a love of music, so we have every confidence the Government will rule in our favour today and allow us to fulfil our promise to these positive young people by allowing Busta Rhymes to perform."


Jo Youle